Twitter
Facebook
G+

Resident involvement strategy consultation

Derwent Living is currently in the process of reviewing its resident involvement strategy. The current strategy ran from 2011 to 2014 and during this time there have been many changes in the ways that customers are involved. We would like the new strategy to reflect this change to involvement, and we also want to get your feedback on the ways that we involve customers, now and in the future.

Please take 5 minutes to read the questions submit your responses, we appreciate any additional comments you may have. Closing date for responses is 21st September 2014.

Every completed survey will be entered into a prize draw for £50 of high street vouchers.

Gas safety

It is our responsibility to ensure that your home is safe by providing you with an annual gas safety certificate called a LGSR (Landlord Gas Safety Record).

Our partnering contractors will carry out an annual gas safety check and service on our behalf.

We will make an appointment for you each year and send you notification by post. It is important that you keep this appointment or contact us to rearrange to a date that is more suitable for you. You can do this by telephoning 01332 614932 or emailing gasservicing@derwentliving.com.

In order to comply with the Gas Safety Regulations 1998, if we are unable to gain access to your property repeatedly, we may take legal action against you in order to carry out the service and provide a valid gas safety certificate. Please help us to avoid this by working with us to find a suitable time for us to carry out these essential works.


Gas ring


Gas Leaks

If you can smell gas:

  • Turn off the gas supply. The main gas on/off lever can be found next to your gas meter
  • Open windows and doors. This will allow any gas which as built up in your home to disperse
  • Do not turn on/off lights/sockets or light any matches. Switching lights on, etc, can often generate sparks which could be enough to ignite any escaped gas in the air
  • Ring Transco on 0800 111 999.

Customer Satisfaction
Following your gas service, you will be given a customer satisfaction survey to complete and return to us. All completed forms received are entered into a monthly prize draw where the winner will receive £50 in Bonus Bond vouchers.

Carbon Monoxide

What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG).

This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is invisible, odorless and tasteless but it can kill quickly and with no warning. Unsafe gas appliances produce this highly poisonous gas. It can cause death as well as serious long term health problems such as brain damage.

What is carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when you breathe in even small amounts of the gas. When you breathe in carbon monoxide, it gets into your blood stream and prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die.

Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health when breathed in over a long period of time. Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning include Paralysis and brain damage. Such long term effects occur because many people are unaware of unsafe gas appliances and subsequent gas leaks.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to many illnesses, including food poisoning, flu and simply being tired. Because of this, many people ignore the signs.

There are six main symptoms to look out for:

  1. headaches
  2. dizziness
  3. nausea
  4. breathlessness
  5. collapse
  6. loss of consciousness

If your symptoms only occur when you are at home, they disappear when you leave your home or get better when you return or other people in your household are experiencing symptoms (including your pets) and they appear at a similar time this could also point to carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you experience symptoms and suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house
  • See your doctor immediately or go to hospital – tell them that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check
  • If you think there is immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline 0800 111 999

Don’t assume your gas appliances are safe: get a Gas Safe registered gas engineer to do a check. This is the only safe way to prevent yourself and those around you from incurring serious illness or death due to carbon monoxide exposure.

How do I avoid a carbon monoxide leak in my home?
Your home may show signs of carbon monoxide. Any one of the following could be a sign that there is carbon monoxide in your home. Get your gas appliances checked to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Lazy yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked
  • Soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances
  • Pilot lights that frequently blow out
  • Increased condensation inside windows

If you have a faulty appliance in your home, it could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Get it checked as soon as possible by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Why should I get a carbon monoxide alarm?
Because carbon monoxide has no taste, smell or colour. Gas Safe Register strongly recommends you fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home.

While an alarm will alert you to carbon monoxide in your home, it is no substitute for using a Gas Safe registered engineer.

A carbon monoxide alarm looks similar to a smoke alarm and is very easy to fit by following the manufacturer’s instructions. You can purchase a carbon monoxide alarm for under £20 at your local DIY store, supermarket or from your energy supplier.

Before purchasing a carbon monoxide alarm, always make sure it is officially approved to EN 50291. It must have a British or European approval mark on it, such as a Kitemark.

You are particularly at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping, as you may not be aware of early carbon monoxide symptoms until it’s too late. Do not use the ‘black spot’ detectors that change colour when carbon monoxide is present. These will not make a sound to wake you up if the poisonous gas is present while you are sleeping.

What preventative measures can you take against carbon monoxide exposure?
Ensure that there is always enough fresh air in the room containing your gas appliance and ensure that vents are not covered

  • Ensure all appliances that are your responsibility are serviced regularly for safety by a Gas Safe registered engineer
  • If you plan to sleep in a room with a gas appliance in it, contact us for advice
  • Do not use unflued appliances like paraffin heaters and cabinet heaters
  • Get your chimney swept at least once a year by a qualified sweep.

Useful Links

www.hse.gov.uk/gas
www.gassaferegister.co.uk
gasservicing@derwentliving.com

Find a home Report a repair Pay your rent MY Derwent Living