Adapting your home

Published , updated

How you and Derwent Living can adapt your property to ensure it meets your needs. 

Our commitment

This page of the website, which is also our policy demonstrates Derwent Living’s commitment to helping its tenants remain in their homes by:

  • Providing minor adaptations
  • Approving reasonable applications from tenants wishing to carry out major adaptations (at their own expense and/or with grant funding)
  • Adopting kitchen furniture, bathroom sanitary ware and floor coverings in both, subject to them being approved prior to installation.

Providing minor adaptations

We will carry out adaptations up to a value of £600 pounds (inclusive of VAT), such as: Grab rails, lever taps, half steps, small ramps, moving/raising switches, electric sockets and specialist equipment required for deaf people.

You can get more information or request a minor adaptation by emailing 

Upon receipt of all required information from Social Care Services, we aim to complete minor adaptations within 28 days of receiving the request.

If the applicants isn’t a Derwent Living tenant, the Social Care Services referral should clearly indicate the applicant’s relationship to the tenant.

Portable and temporary equipment aids

Portable or temporary appliances such as bath or shower seats and temporary ramping are provided by Social Care Services or the NHS, not by Derwent Living (unless it is an auxiliary aid and falls within minor adaptations).

We will advise on request where temporary aids or devices can be obtained for tenants to purchase themselves.

Major adaptations

Major adaptations mean physical alterations to the value of over £600 (inclusive of VAT).

Derwent Living is generally unable to fund the carrying out of major adaptations such as:

  • Showers over a bath, walk-in showers (for example lipped shower trays), level access showers (wet rooms), stair lifts, vertical through-floor lifts and other large scale adaptations such as extensions.

Where tenants wish to carry out any major adaptations to their property at their own cost, they must first get permission from Derwent Living.

We will not unreasonably withhold permission although a change of rent may be a condition of any permission given or granted.

For example, increasing or decreasing the number of bedrooms will result in a corresponding rent adjustment.

All applications must be supported by an occupational therapist’s report with accompanying specifications and drawings.

If the tenant’s home is not deemed suitable for a major adaptation, the adaptation may be declined. Reasons for refusal include layout, location and future lettability.

If Derwent Living is about to modernise your kitchen or bathroom, we may be able to carry out adaptations simultaneously.

This would reduce the cost significantly, as only the difference would be payable. However, an occupational therapist’s report is still a pre-requisite.

Financial assistance

If you or a person living with you is disabled, you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant to adapt your property to enable the disabled person to live as independently as possible.

Details are available from your local authority.

Property suitability

Where major adaptations aren’t approved, Derwent Living will assist tenants to try to secure a more appropriate property through our transfer policy or through other housing providers.

Where alternative accommodation is being considered, the likely impact of moving house should be assessed in relation to the customer’s health/condition and individual circumstances to ensure that it will not have a serious adverse effect on them.

Applicants whose home is considered larger than their requirements warrant (i.e. in line with Mutual Exchange Occupancy standards), or have submitted a right to buy or transfer application will not be eligible for adaptation works.

Any tenant subject to a possession order will also not be eligible.