Anti-social behaviour and harassment

Published , updated

How to record and report anti-social behaviour and harassment.

Anti-social behaviour covers a wide range of unacceptable activity including noise nuisance, criminal damage, street drinking, graffiti, threats of violence, harassment and assault. Derwent Living takes all reports of anti-social behaviour very seriously. 

Where there is little or no evidence of anti-social behaviour, allegations and counter allegations and/or implications showing there is a clash of lifestyle or a neighbour dispute, Derwent Living will not take enforcement action. Common examples are where customers work shifts, or young families live next door to older customers.

How to report anti-social behaviour

If you are experiencing anti-social behaviour you can use our online form below, or call our 24 hour ASB reporting service on 01332 614 919. You can also contact your housing officer. 

We respond to all instances of anti-social behaviour in one working day.

When you contact us to report an instance of anti-social behaviour we will need to know:

  • when and where it happened, as accurately as possible
  • what happened
  • who was behaving anti-socially
  • who else saw or heard the incident
  • If the behaviour is criminal as well as anti-social, you must tell the police.

You can also contact your local council, which will be able to give you advice about anti-social behaviour. You can find your local council by visiting the local authority finder website – just click here.

If you witness a crime or an emergency you must always report to the Police first

Noise App

If you are experiencing noise nuisance we always recommend you contact your Local Authority Environmental Services Team. You can do this using the Local Authority finder above. Derwent Living and our customers can now also download the Noise App, a new way to monitor and record incidents of noise nuisance. You can read more about it on the Noise App website and you can watch the instructional video, below.

The Noise App is available to download on iPhone and android handsets via the App Store and Google Play. Once registered, residents can use the Noise App to record noise nuisance disturbances and then submit these directly to Derwent Living.

Appropriate staff then have access to view and listen to these recordings and take action. The noise app is a quick and easy way for residents to submit potential evidence of anti-social behaviour.

Keeping you in the loop

Your housing officer will explain the options we have and agree with you what actions we will take at this stage of the investigation. They will agree a date to contact you again to give you an update on the case.

In order to proceed with your complaint and to build up a case, your housing officer may ask you to complete diary sheets recording any future incidents. This builds a picture of the frequency and seriousness of the behaviour and this evidence may be used in any court action. Without continuing evidence it will be difficult to investigate your case further.

Your housing officer will often work in partnership with other agencies to resolve your complaint and may ask you to also report any incidents to the police, environmental health department and the anti-social behaviour officer at your local authority.

We will not tell the person causing a nuisance who reported them, but they may be able to guess when we speak to them. Your housing officer will discuss this with you before we take any action.

Before closing your anti-social behaviour complaint your housing officer will contact you to obtain your consent to close the complaint.

Diary sheets

It’s important that you keep an accurate record of anti-social behaviour, as the quality of your evidence is vital to a successful case if legal action is taken. You can download diary sheets to fill in here.

    • You need to report only the things you’ve seen or heard, not opinions
    • Other people in your household need to use their own sheet
    • Write everything down when it’s fresh in your mind.
    • Please write down the full time and date (eg 1pm (or 13:00), 24/11/2015) when the incident started and stopped
    • Try to record as much detail as possible – for example, for a noise complaint:
      • the type of noise, for example, loud music, drilling, dog barking
      • how loud the noise was, such as “I could hear it above my television”, “my windows were rattling”
      • how bad it was – “it woke me up”, “I couldn’t fall asleep”, “I couldn’t concentrate on my book”
    • If you are verbally abused or threatened, please write the exact words that were said.  If it was by letter, text or email etc please keep these
    • If you know who is causing the problem write it down – eg “David Smith”, “their oldest son”, “a visitor called Mike”
    • If you call the Police, please record the time, date, the names and badge numbers of any officers who respond, and which station they came from.

What else can you do?

We've produced two guides, Neighbours Matter and Noise Matters which explain more about how neighbourhood issues and complaints are managed and the steps you can take

Report anti-social behaviour

If you're a customer why not register for an account? It means that you won't have to enter your name, address or contact details on any form on the website. If you don't have an account, filling out the tenancy number on this form (if you know it) and/or your address will help us answer your message more quickly, but it's OK if you don't.

* Please make sure this is filled out

* Please make sure this is filled out

File upload

You need to be logged in to upload files.

* Please make sure this is filled out

By clicking send you agree that information supplied will be used in accordance with the company's responsibilities under the General Data Protection Regulation 2018. A full privacy statement, which sets out every aspect of how your information is used and processed and your rights, is available here.