Contents and buildings insurance

Published , updated

Making sure you’re covered with the right insurance for your home.

Having the right contents and buildings insurance in place to cover your property and belongings is one of the most important things to consider when you rent or own your home.

Without the correct insurance cover, you could find yourself faced with large bills to replace items or repair parts of your home.

Derwent Living provides buildings insurance for those living in rented, leasehold and shared ownership properties but DOES NOT provide home contents insurance. Further information about both types on insurance and how to make a claim for buildings insurance is detailed below.

Contents insurance

Why do I need it?

If you are a tenant who rents, then Derwent Living may not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.

If you have to replace the contents of your home it could prove very expensive. We strongly recommend that you get your personal belongings insured against events including:

  • accidental damage
  • fire
  • theft
  • flooding/escape of water.

For more information on contents insurance, visit the money helper website.

Buildings insurance

Buildings insurance covers the financial cost of repairing damage to the fabric or structure of your home. This includes damage from things like fire, flood and vandalism or following a burglary or accident.

Advice for those living in rental accommodation

If you live in rented accommodation with Derwent Living, we provide buildings insurance as part of your rent. Any damage caused to the structure of your home should be reported to our repairs team as soon as possible. For more information and to report a repair please visit our dedicated advice centre page.  

If you are a leaseholder or live in shared ownership you should follow the guidance below.

Advice for leaseholders/shared owners

If you own or part-own your home (but Derwent Living owns the freehold) then buildings insurance is provided automatically through our block policy. As all properties are insured through this policy, Derwent Living receives cheaper rates which are passed on to customers. Buildings insurance is included as a service charge, which you can see on your account statement.

The level of cover you can expect is provided in our summary of cover document

Making a claim

If you need to make an insurance claim, first check that what you are claiming for is covered by the policy. If it’s covered, you’ll need to complete a claim form, and send it to Places for People’s dedicated team of insurance co-ordinators at the below address:

Insurance Team

4 The Pavilions

Port Way



When you make a claim using the block policy you’ll need to decide whether you’d like Places for People to appoint a suitable contractor or use your own tradesperson. If you do decide to use your own contractor you’ll need to provide two quotes (from different reputable tradespeople) for the work to your property. These should be attached to the claim form. If you have to send an original quote, always make a copy.

Once the claim has been received, the team at Places for People will be in touch to organise the work (if required) and complete the claim.

All claims are subject to an excess of £150. 

If you have any questions you can speak to a member of the claims team on 01772 897 292/01772 897 298 or email

If you need to discuss a claim outside of normal office hours please call the emergency helpline on 0800 028 0336/0800 028 0338.

Water Leaks – advice for leaseholders

Water leaks are one of the most common reasons for insurance claims and can cause significant damage if not addressed quickly. If you spot a leak, you will need to call a plumber to fix it as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

Please be aware that this call-out and the cost of isolating the leak is not covered by the policy. Only damage caused by the leak itself to the structure of your home can be recovered, for everything else check your content insurance policy to see if you’re covered. Once the leak has been stopped you will need to begin the claims process from our block policy, detailed above.

Property wear and tear – advice for leaseholders

General wear and tear is not covered under the block insurance policy, nor are contents or any damage caused by lack of maintenance.