Voluntary Right to Buy

Published , updated

Derwent Living is taking part in the Government’s Voluntary Right to Buy Midlands pilot.

1.0 What is the Voluntary Right to Buy

Derwent Living is taking part in the Government’s Voluntary Right to Buy (VRtB) Midlands pilot. We are one of nearly 50 housing associations taking part in the scheme.

The VRtB pilot is a scheme where assured tenants of housing associations may have the chance to apply to buy their homes. If successful, the purchase price will be discounted to the same value as some tenants enjoy under the Statutory Right to Buy scheme.

This VRtB pilot will run for two years and will provide the opportunity for around 3000 eligible general needs tenants across the Midlands pilot area to buy their homes. Because this is a pilot scheme there is a limited amount of funding available for the scheme and not everyone who registers will be able to buy.

The Government is funding the discounts and has produced the guidance on overall eligibility for the VRtB, how the discount is calculated and paid back should you sell or sublet your home, and what happens if your home is excluded from the scheme.

As this is a voluntary scheme, we have created a policy on properties which will be excluded from the pilot. We will exclude as few properties as possible from the pilot.

If you are eligible but your home is excluded, we will offer you the option to ‘port your discount’ to an empty eligible property. The full details of how to do this are explained in our VRtB Midlands Pilot Portability Policy.

What you need to do if you are interested in buying your home

You can get free information and advice from:

2.0 Eligibility

You must meet all the Government’s requirements to qualify to buy your home under the VRtB Midlands pilot. The list of Local Authority areas are included in the Midlands pilot is available at the end of this document.

To be eligible for the Midlands pilot you need to meet ALL of the following criteria:

  • You live in a general needs property
  • You can demonstrate that the property is your main home and that you have lived in it for at least 12 months
  • You can prove that you have been a public sector tenant of social or affordable housing for at least three years
  • You currently hold an assured tenancy with Derwent Living
  • You have the right to reside in the UK, and can demonstrate that you meet the immigration status checks
  • You have a valid URN from the Government’s digital gateway https://midlands.righttobuy.gov.uk . The allocation of a URN by the Government does not mean that you or your property is eligible for VRtB.

Qualifying Period

The Government requires that the qualifying period and the period on which discount is calculated include the following periods with a public sector landlord.

  • Non-consecutive periods as public sector tenants
  • All undemoted secure or assured tenancies
  • Fixed term assured short hold tenancies as long as they don’t apply to the property being purchased
  • Any probationary periods that have been completed or do not apply to the property being purchased
  • Any period spent as a public sector licensee (e.g. as a tenant to an almshouse or the Ministry of Defence) even though you cannot buy such properties under this pilot scheme.

These qualifying periods need not have been with the same landlord or continuous.

The qualifying period and the period on which the discount is calculated cannot include time spent as a non-tenant adult in a parental home.

Customers Who Are Not Eligible

The Government’s criteria sets out that you are not eligible if:

  • You are entitled to the Statutory Right to Buy or the Preserved Right to Buy
  • Your property is not situated in one of the Midlands local authorities determined by the Government in which the VRtB Midlands pilot is taking place – see section 10 below for a list of local authority areas included in the pilot
  • You do not have a valid URN from the Government’s digital gateway at the time of application
  • You hold an assured short hold tenancy (other than a Localism Act fixed term tenancy), a contractual (non-assured, non-secure) tenancy or are a licensee
  • You have a fixed term tenancy of less than two years, or a periodic assured shorthold tenancy (including a starter tenancy which has not converted)
  • You do not have the right to reside in the UK and cannot demonstrate that you meet the immigration status checks
  • You are currently subject to the mortgage rescue scheme. You may become eligible if you move to a new property or are granted a new tenancy
  • You are a residents of almshouses or co-operative housing associations
  • You have any rent arrears (unless these are paid within 7 days of submitting an application for VRtB)
  • You, or any joint applicants, are subject to bankruptcy proceedings or unfulfilled credit arrangements
  • You have committed anti-social behaviour as defined in the Paragraph 11 of Schedule 11 to the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 and the RP has initiated legal proceedings as a result of this. Customers would become eligible if these legal proceedings were withdrawn or discontinued
  • You are currently subject to legal proceedings, for example if injunction proceedings have been issued or a Notice of Seeking Possession (NOSP) has been served. Customers may become eligible if these legal proceedings were withdrawn or discontinued, if we (your landlord) failed to send papers to the court for issue within six months of expiry of the NOSP, or we lose the case in court (including following any appeal)
  • You are subject to legal proceedings at any point between application and completion. Customers would become eligible if the legal proceedings were withdrawn or discontinued
  • You already own a property at the point of application; and will not end your ownership on or before completion of the VRtB purchase
  • You hold an assured fixed term tenancy where the original term was 21 years or more (i.e. a long term tenancy)
  • You occupy only a room, or rooms, in a shared house or flat, even if the terms of the occupancy amount to an assured tenancy
  • You are a shared ownership tenant.

It is your responsibility to provide evidence to show that you meet the initial qualification period and are entitled to the discount being claimed.

Qualifying Family Members

Customers may share the purchase with up to three qualifying family members as set out below:

  • Your husband, wife or civil partner, or someone who lives with you as your husband, wife or civil partner
  • Your parent, grandparent, child, stepchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece
  • The parent, grandparent, child, stepchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece of your husband, wife or civil partner.

To qualify to share in a VRtB pilot purchase the family member must:

  • Be aged 18 or over
  • Demonstrate that the property they wish share the purchase of is their main home
  • Evidence that the property they wish to buy has been their residence for at least 12 months prior to the date of application for VRtB
  • Not own another property, or sell their other property before the VRtB purchase.

3.0 Excluded Properties

As this is a voluntary scheme our Local Sales Policy excludes the following categories of properties from the pilot. More details can be found in our VRtB Midlands Pilot Local Sales Policy.

  • Properties which are subject to a legal document that says the property must be used to provide rented accommodation or prevents the property being sold.
  • Properties built or acquired subject to planning restrictions.
  • Properties mortgaged (charged) to a bank where the conditions of the mortgage would mean it would take too long to release the property and allow the sale to progress and/or would be too costly to release.
  • Properties were Derwent Living has invested more in relation to development, acquisition and repair than the property is worth or where Derwent Living would suffer a financial loss.
  • Properties that have been identified in future disposal or demolition plans.
  • Properties where there are significant shared facilities, such as kitchens or bathrooms.

If your home has been excluded for any of these reasons, you will be sent an email explaining why it has been excluded and what your options are.

If you are eligible but cannot buy the home you live in for any of these reasons, we will ask you if you wish to consider porting your discount to an eligible property. You can download our full VRtB Midlands Pilot Portability Policy.

When we have approved your application and checked all the supporting evidence you have supplied we will then need to get permission from Homes England* to sell you the property. If Homes England does not give us permission, we will withdraw our offer to you and close the application.

We will email you to let you know if your property has been excluded and why.

*Homes England is the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government’s non-departmental public body. They bring together land, money, expertise, and planning and compulsory purchase powers, with a clear remit to facilitate delivery of sufficient new homes, where they are most needed, to deliver a sustained improvement in affordability.

What happens if my property is excluded?

We have excluded as few properties as possible from the VRtB Midlands pilot.

If you cannot buy the home you live in because it is excluded under our Policy, we will ask you if you want to ‘port’ your discount to another property using our VRtB Midlands Pilot Portability Policy.

We will aim to identify if your property is excluded from the VRtB pilot within one month of receiving your application. However, some exclusions can only be identified once the property has been valued or after our solicitor has investigated any legal matters affecting the property.

If you wish to port your discount we will make one reasonable offer from our qualifying empty properties in the area. Where possible we will try to match the property we offer as closely as possible to your requirements.

If a suitable alternative property cannot be found or you cannot secure a mortgage within 3 months your application for the VRtB Midlands pilot will be cancelled.

4.0 Discount Calculation

You must have been a public sector tenant for at least three years in order to qualify for the VRtB Midlands pilot. A list of all Public Sector Landlords is available below..

If you live in a house, you can get a discount of 35% after three, four and five years as a tenant.  For each full year of tenancy after that, you get another 1%, up to a maximum of 70% or £80,900.

If you live in a flat, you can get a discount of 50% after three, four and five years as a tenant.  For each full year of tenancy after that, you get another 2% up to a maximum of 70% or £80,900.

The below table gives some examples of the discount you could receive on a home worth £120,000. Whatever percentage you are eligible for, the discount cannot be greater than £80,900 or 70%.

Qualifying Period in years Houses (%) Discount Flats (%) Discount

3, 4 and 5























































40 and over





For each complete year of confirmed tenancy, you will receive a discount based on a percentage of the open market value of the property. The total periods of qualifying tenancy are added together (years, months, days) and the discount is calculated on the total years. The monetary (£) value of this percentage (%) is deducted from the market valuation of the property.

The qualifying period for discount can include time spent in a different home and with different landlords. This doesn’t have to be continuous, so long as it was a public sector tenancy.

If you or any of the tenants purchasing the property have previously received funding under Right to Buy, Preserved Right to Buy or Right to Acquire, the discount will be reduced by that amount.

Discounts will vary depending on how long you’ve been a tenant and the type of property you are buying. Here are some examples:

House – 10 years tenancy – value is £120,000
Current house value: £120,000
Years as a tenant: 10 years
Eligible discount: 40% (35% + 1% for each year over 5 years)
Discount value: £48,000
Price you pay for house: £72,000 (£120,000 less £48,000)
Flat – 10 years tenancy – value is £100,000
Current flat value: £100,000
Years as a tenant: 10 years
Eligible discount: 60% (50% + 2% for each year over 5 years)
Discount value: £60,000
Price you pay for flat:     £40,000 (£100,000 less £60,000)

For a rough guide to help you work out the discount you may be eligible for visit https://righttobuy.gov.uk/right-to-buy-calculator/

If I have made improvements to my home, will this affect its value?

Only improvements such as a new bathroom, kitchen or extension will be considered a home improvement. You must provide us with evidence that you received our consent to carry out the improvements in order for them to be considered by the surveyor.

It will be decided during the valuation process whether your improvements have had an impact on the property value, possibly resulting in the home improvement value being disregarded from the valuation used to work out the purchase price.

General decorating and maintenance are not classed as improvements.

How much will my home cost to buy?

We cannot tell you how much your home will cost until we have had it valued. You can make your own enquiries by checking recent sales prices for comparable properties on websites which record sale price information, or look at estate agent adverts for homes like your own.

Section 8 of this webpage sets out the timescale for VRtB and the stage at which we will get a valuation. When we are ready to do this we will ask you to select from a short-list of local professional RICS certified surveyors.  We will pay the cost of the valuation report.

Can I use rent I’ve paid as a discount?

No.  The discount you may be entitled to will be calculated as above.  You will not receive any further deductions in respect of rent you have paid for your home.

Can I sell, transfer or sublet my home after I have bought it?

If you sell, transfer or sublet the property within five years following completion of your purchase you will be required to pay back the discount as follows:

  • 100% of the discount repaid in the first year
  • 80% of the discount repaid in the second year
  • 60% of the discount repaid in the third year
  • 40% of the discount repaid in the fourth year
  • 20% of the discount repaid in the fifth year

To calculate the discount repayable upon sale, transfer or subletting, the percentage discount which was given on the VRtB purchase is applied to the market value of the property at the time of the sale, transfer or subletting.  This sum reduces each full year following the VRtB purchase by the percentages outlined above.

The amount of discount to be repaid if the property is sold, transferred or sublet within five years of purchase will be a percentage of the open market value of the property, disregarding the value of any improvements.

The Group will require a RICS open market valuation to determine the value of the property, the cost of the valuation is payable by the purchaser(s) of the property.

Repayment is triggered by the date at which the purchaser enters into an agreement to sell on the property.  Therefore, if the tenant signs an agreement with a third party to sell the property to them after a period of time (for example, in return for funding to make the initial purchase), the discount is repayable from the date of that agreement not the date of onward sale (a ‘deferred sale’).

If you wish to sell, transfer or otherwise dispose of your property within 10 years following your purchase, you will have to offer it back to us at full market value. If we do not wish to buy the property back we can nominate another registered provider to carry out the purchase.  If we do not accept your offer within 8 weeks, you will be free to sell the property on the open market.

5.0 Things to Consider before Registering for a URN

Changes to application

If any of the applicants who are not named tenants change at any point once the signed application has been submitted, the application will be rendered void.

In the event of the death of a sole named tenant, subject to the consent of Homes England, the application may continue provided that the statutory successor to the tenancy is one of the other named applicants.

Joint applications where any applicant is ineligible will be voided.

Can you afford to buy your home?

Buying a home is the largest financial decision most people will ever make. You need to be sure that you will be able to afford your new home now and in the future.

Unless you are going to buy your home with cash, you will need a mortgage. There are various kinds of mortgage which your bank or building society can tell you about. An independent financial advisor may also be able to help or you could contact the Mortgage Advice Bureau - www.mortgageadvicebureau.com.

The process you will go through to obtain a mortgage is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). You can use the following link to check that the bank, building society or mortgage broker you want to talk to is regulated by the FCA – www.fca.org.uk

Your earnings and any other outgoings will dictate how much you can borrow from a mortgage lender and therefore what you can afford to buy.  Mortgage rates can vary and your monthly cost could rise and fall depending on interest rates.

Remember that your home could be repossessed if you do not keep up the repayments on your mortgage.

If you are funding the purchase from savings, we will require evidence to verify the source of the funding.  If you are buying your home with the help of a loan or contribution from a family member or another individual, we will need proof of the money being transferred into your UK bank account in addition to information to verify the source of funding.

We will comply with our Anti-Money Laundering and Fraud Policy when administering applications for the VRtB Midlands Pilot.

Costs involved in purchasing / financial advice

  • £250 Administration fee payable to Derwent Living – this fee is due before instructing the valuation of the property and it will be refunded when the sale is complete.
  • Survey - You may want to get an independent survey done. This will highlight any problems (such as repairs) you’ll need to know about before you buy. Costs can vary depending on the type of survey you select. You could consider one of these surveys:
  • RICS Home Buyers’ Survey and Valuation - this is a report and valuation in a standardised format, to tell the buyer of all significant defects, but not minor ones. It is likely to be adequate for most properties and provides a guide to value. It is likely to cost around £250-£600.
  • A Building Survey - this involves a detailed examination of all the visible parts of the property. It is a good idea to have such a survey done if the property is old, or obviously in need of repair, or if you are considering making alterations. The cost of this may start at about £400, but it could be considerably more, and may not be available if your home is a flat.
  • You can get more information about both of these from the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) at rics.org/usefulguides or contact local surveyors.
  • Mortgage advice – you may choose to get advice from an independent financial adviser or mortgage broker. Costs vary and may be a set fee or percentage of the loan - ensure you get a quote prior to arranging an apportionment with the mortgage lender/advisor.
  • Solicitors fees -you will need to instruct a solicitor or other licensed conveyancer for the legal aspects of buying your home (searches, land registry fees, deeds, etc). Make sure you understand the costs involved with instructing a solicitor to deal with your sale.
  • Mortgage deposit - When it comes to putting down a deposit to buy your home, the more you can save up, the better. Your mortgage deposit will normally need to be for at least 5% of the value of the property you are buying. So, for example, if your home is valued at £100,000, you'd need to save up a minimum deposit of £5,000.
  • Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) - depending on the value of the property SDLT may be payable. This is a tax paid to the Government when someone buys a home. The solicitors you instruct to deal with your sale will be able to advise if SDLT applies on the purchase and how much it will be. Information on Stamp Duty is available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-stamp-duty-land-tax
  • Moving costs – if the home you live in is not eligible for VRtB and you port your discount you will have to consider the costs of moving from your current home to the one you buy.

You can get free information and advice from:

I have been approached by a person or company offering to help me buy my home, what should I be aware of?

If you are approached by a person or company offering to help you buy your home, check out what’s in it for them and talk to us before signing up to any deal.  We are aware that sometimes tenants are asked to pay a lot of money for things that landlords will do free of charge.

Some companies offer tenants money up front in a deal under which the company ends up owning the property – this is known as a deferred resale agreement. This is good for the company, which can charge a higher rent than your landlord could when it let the property. But it is not always good for tenants, because the money they get may not be enough to buy another home. Some tenants have found themselves homeless after agreeing to such deals. Also, if you enter into a deferred resale agreement, you may have to repay your VRtB discount.

Ongoing Costs

Every month you will need to pay your mortgage, on-going costs such as service charges (if applicable), repairs and other bills such as water, gas, electricity, buildings insurance, contents insurance and council tax.

Derwent Living will no longer be responsibility for organising or paying for repairs to your home. As a home owner you will need to arrange and pay for these yourself.

6.0 Registering for a URN, and contacting Derwent Living with your URN

Before you can submit your application to Derwent Living you MUST register for a URN on the Government’s digital gateway, https://midlands.righttobuy.gov.uk . When you have registered you will see the 'Ballot Entry Confirmation' screen. You'll be sent an email confirming your ballot entry has been received. You should receive this within a few minutes of registering, please check your spam folder and if you’ve definitely not received a confirmation email you will need to register again. You can only make an application if you are issued with a URN from the Government.

Once you have a URN you need to email the Sales team at: VRTBpilot@derwentliving.com and provide us with the following:

The gateway on the Government website will be open for one calendar month, from 9am on 16 August 2018 until midnight on Sunday 16 September 2018.

Applicants will be chosen at random by ballot after the gateway has closed. The ballot has been chosen to ensure fair distribution of the limited number of URNs.

A limited number of URNs will be available and not every applicant will be able to receive one. Even if you do receive a URN this is no guarantee you will be able to buy your home. This depends on the eligibility of your home and its affordability to you.

Even if you do receive a URN this is no guarantee you will be able to buy your home. This depends on the eligibility of your home and its affordability to you.

Our customer service advisors have no further information about the VRtB pilot, so please follow the above process rather than calling or emailing into the customer service centre.

It is important that you do not apply for a mortgage, instruct solicitors or make any other financial commitments until:

  1. You have been issued with a URN
  2. We have confirmed that you may proceed with your purchase and
  3. We have sent you a formal offer to confirm the purchase price of your home and you’re the discount you are entitled to.

I was unsuccessful in the ballot. Can I appeal?

Unfortunately not. The number of sales in the pilot is limited and successful applicants for Unique Reference Numbers were selected by a strictly random ballot.

I missed the window for entering the ballot for URNs. Is there anything I can do?

There are no immediate plans to reopen the ballot. However, any decision by Government on this would depend on the level of demand. You can sign up for more information on the Government’s website at https://righttobuy.gov.uk/am-i-eligible/housing-association-tenants/, and you will receive any new information.

7.0 Application Process

Before we can send you an application form, you must register on the Government’s digital gateway https://midlands.righttobuy.gov.uk to apply for a URN.

Once we receive this information and carried out the initial eligibility checks we will send you an application form.

You will have 4 weeks to submit a completed and signed application form, and provide all the required supporting documentation. Please refer to the timescales and process outlined in section 8.

You will not receive an application form if you do not:

  • Have a URN from the Government digital portal.
  • Pass the initial eligibility checks which are as follows:

A list of all of the public sector landlords are provided in section 9 below.

We will also send you guidance on how to complete the form and the timescales for doing so.

All the evidence requested must be returned together with the application form within the timescale.

Application forms without all of the evidence will be returned to you with a deadline for providing the information in full. If you do return all the information by this deadline we will withdraw the offer and close your application.

How do I know if I have a general needs Assured tenancy?

If you are a tenant with Derwent Living and you don’t know if you have an Assured tenancy then once you have registered and received your URN if you contact Derwent Living (as per Section 6) and we will do our initial checks and verify if you have the correct tenure type etc.

Can my family buy my home?

Your family can help you fund the purchase of your home, but unless they meet the criteria above, they will not be able to share the purchase.

How will my documentation be checked by Derwent Living?

We will arrange a home visit and it is compulsory for all purchasers to be present at the visit. At the home visit we will check documentation to confirm identification and the right to reside in the UK for all purchasers.

Do I have to pay an administration fee?

We will ask you to pay an administration fee of £250 before we value your home.  You must pay the fee within 4 weeks of request.

The fee will be refunded to you if you complete the purchase of your home, or if we close your application because your property is excluded from the VRtB pilot. The fee will not be refunded if you decide not to proceed with the purchase or if we have to decline your application because you failed to meet the timescales outlined in section 8.

Will repairs still be carried out to my home?

During the application process we will only carry out essential repairs to comply with our legal obligations as a landlord.  No planned improvement works will be undertaken to a property once an application has been received.

8.0 Timescales

We will clearly confirm these timescales throughout the process.  The onus is on you to progress your application within these timescales.  Failure to comply with these timescales will result in the withdrawal of your application or the expiry of the funding allocated to you by the Government.

Please note that applications withdrawn by us will not be re-opened.

These timescales are for tenants purchasing the property they currently live in.

Launch Date
Tenant registers interest on Government portal.
Allocation of URN – One month after launch
Government allocate Unique Reference Numbers to tenants eligible to apply for Voluntary Right to Buy and inform eligible tenants and applicable landlords.
Stage 1 – Application Form - within 4 weeks
Tenant submits a fully completed and signed application with all documentation and evidence requested to Derwent Living.
Stage 2 – Eligibility Checks - within 4 weeks (full history with Derwent Living) or within 8 weeks (history includes other landlords)

Derwent Living carries out applicant eligibility and initial property checks – this includes immigration fraud checks and a home visit.

If the application/evidence/home visit has been verified and approved, Derwent Living will ask the tenant to pay the administration fee and select their choice of RICS certified surveyors from list provided.

Stage 3 – Pay Administration Fee and Select RICS certified surveyor – within 4 weeks
Tenant pays £250 administration fee to Derwent Living and confirms choice of RICS certified surveyor.
Stage 4 - Valuation and Legal Due Diligence – within 12 weeks

Derwent Living instructs a valuation and carries out legal due diligence to identify any property exclusions under this policy.

For included properties Derwent Living will request permission to sell from Homes England.

If Homes England provide approval to sell, Derwent Living will issue a formal offer to the tenant to confirm the value, purchase price and discount entitlement.

Stage 5 - Formal Offer Notice Accepted by Tenant – within 4 weeks
Tenant confirms their intention to proceed with the purchase and provides solicitor’s details to Derwent Living.
Stage 6 - Conveyancing and Sale Completion of sale – within 12 weeks
The tenant, Derwent Living and solicitors for both sides progress conveyancing and complete sale.

All of the above timescales are provided by the Government within their “Midlands Pilot Guidance for Housing Associations”.  We will aim to administer applications in line with these timescales.  Failure by a tenant to comply with these timescales, or if a tenant does not facilitate the home visit (stage 2) or allow access to the RICS certified surveyor (stage 4) within a reasonable timescale set by us, will result in the withdrawal of your application or the expiry of the funding allocated by the Government.

9.0 List of all Public Sector Landlords

Public sector landlords whose tenancies contribute to VRtB eligibility

Note: Your time as a tenant of the following list of landlords may contribute to the eligibility period for calculating the VRtB discount. It does not mean that you can buy your home under VRtB if you are currently a tenant of one of these landlords. If in doubt, please check that your landlord is a party to the voluntary Right to Buy scheme.

  • Community councils
  • Local Authorities
  • New town corporations
  • Parish councils
  • Urban development corporations
  • Housing Action Trusts
  • Registered social landlords (but not co-operative housing associations)
  • Government departments
  • Ministers of the Crown
  • Secretary of State (in some circumstances)
  • Area electricity boards
  • Fire and rescue authorities
  • Internal drainage boards
  • National Health Service trusts and foundation trusts
  • Passenger transport executives
  • Police authorities
  • Water authorities
  • AFRC Institute for Grassland and Animal Production
  • Agricultural and Food Research Council
  • British Airports Authority
  • British Broadcasting Corporation
  • British Coal Corporation
  • British Gas Corporation
  • British Railways Board
  • British Steel Corporation
  • British Waterways Board
  • Central Electricity Generating Board
  • Church Commissioners
  • Civil Aviation Authority
  • Coal Authority
  • Electricity Council
  • English Sports Council
  • Environment Agency
  • Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission for England
  • Housing Corporation
  • Lake District Special Planning Board
  • Lee Valley Regional Park Authority
  • Medical Research Council
  • National Bus Company
  • Natural England (in some circumstances)
  • Natural Environment Research Council
  • Peak Park Joint Planning Board
  • Post Office
  • Science and Engineering Research Council
  • Sports Council
  • Transport for London
  • Trinity House (in some circumstances)
  • United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority
  • United Kingdom Sports Council

In Wales:

  • Countryside Council for Wales
  • National Assembly for Wales (in some circumstances)
  • National Library of Wales
  • National Museum of Wales
  • Sports Council for Wales

In Scotland:

  • Councils
  • Development corporations
  • Housing associations (in some circumstances)
  • Water authorities
  • Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses
  • Highlands and Islands Enterprise
  • North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board
  • Scottish Homes
  • Scottish Natural Heritage
  • Scottish Sports Council
  • South of Scotland Electricity Board

In Northern Ireland:

  • District councils
  • Education and Library Boards
  • Registered housing associations
  • Fire Authority for Northern Ireland
  • Northern Ireland Electricity Service
  • Northern Ireland Housing Executive
  • Northern Ireland Policing Board
  • Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company
  • Sports Council for Northern Ireland

In respect of housing co-operative agreements

In England and Wales, a local housing authority, new town corporation, or the Development Board for Rural Wales.

In Scotland, a local housing authority.

And any predecessor of these landlords

10.0 List of all areas within the VRtB Midlands Pilot

These are all the lower-tier local authorities in the West and East Midlands statistical regions. Tenants in homes outside these areas are not able to apply to participate in the Midlands pilot.

Amber Valley Borough Council
Ashfield District Council
Bassetlaw District Council
Birmingham City Council
Blaby District Council
Bolsover District Council
Boston Borough Council
Bromsgrove District Council
Broxtowe Borough Council
Cannock Chase District Council
Charnwood Borough Council
Chesterfield Borough Council
Corby Borough Council
Coventry City Council
Daventry District Council
Derby City Council
Derbyshire Dales District Council
Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council
East Lindsey District Council
East Northamptonshire Council
East Staffordshire Borough Council
Erewash Borough Council
Gedling Borough Council
Harborough District Council
Herefordshire Council
High Peak Borough Council
Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council
Kettering Borough Council
Leicester City Council
Lichfield District Council
Lincoln – City of Lincoln Council
Malvern Hills District Council
Mansfield District Council
Melton Borough Council
Newark and Sherwood District Council
Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council
North East Derbyshire District Council
North Kesteven District Council
North Warwickshire Borough Council
North West Leicestershire District Council
Northampton Borough Council
Nottingham City Council
Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council
Oadby and Wigston Borough Council
Redditch Borough Council
Rugby Borough Council
Rushcliffe Borough Council
Rutland County Council
Sandwell Council
Shropshire Council
Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council
South Derbyshire District Council
South Holland District Council
South Kesteven District Council
South Northamptonshire Council
South Staffordshire Council
Stafford Borough Council
Staffordshire Moorlands District Council
Stoke-on-Trent City Council
Stratford-on-Avon District Council
Tamworth Borough Council
Telford and Wrekin Council
Walsall Council
Warwick District Council
Wellingborough, Borough Council of
West Lindsey District Council
Wolverhampton – City of Wolverhampton Council
Worcester City Council
Wychavon District Council
Wyre Forest District Council