The snow is melting, trees are budding... spring is finally here! And it’s the ideal time to check your homes and gardens are safe for you and your family.
- Label cleaning products and store them safely and out of children’s reach.
- Check your smoke detector and give it a quick vacuum to remove any dust. If you need help, you can arrange a home fire safety visit from your local fire service.
- Clear the clutter! Take things you no longer need to a charity shop or local recycling centre.
- Check for leaks, especially near electrical appliances.
- Clear the area around heating appliances of anything that might catch fire.
- If you have a shed or garage, make sure liquids and fertilizers are clearly marked, stored correctly and out of the reach of children and pets.
- Store tools, adhesives, matches or other work items out of children’s reach when you’re not using them.
- Make sure your family knows what to do if there is a fire.
- Plan how you would get out safely and agree on a meeting place outside your home.
- Practice your plan - even the best plan is no good if you don't practice it!
Make this spring a safe one!