Staying safe with gas
Created on Tuesday, September 11th, 2012
by Michael Futers
It’s Gas Safety Week and we’re supporting it.
As a landlord we arrange a gas safety check every 10 months and give you a record of the check. In return we ask you to co-operate with us so that engineers from Vinshire, our gas servicing contractor, can check your gas appliances. We also encourage those who own their home to arrange an annual gas safety check.
Here are some top tips to help keep you and your family gas safe:
- make sure only a Gas Safe registered engineer works on your gas appliances. Illegal gas fitters can put your life at risk
- always check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card
- make sure gas appliances have a regular service and a gas safety check every 12 months
- look out for warning signs that your gas appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room
- know the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness
- install an audible carbon monoxide alarm
- if you smell gas call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999