Essential system maintenanceDue to essential maintenance, our repairs system will be unavailable after 4pm on Thursday 19th July and all day Friday 20th July. Please report all non-emergency repairs via the Derwent Living App or use the website's report a repair form. Any emergency repairs should be telephoned through as usual. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Cold weather guidance
Cold weather brings snow and ice which have a major impact on how we get about safely. This article sets out what you, your neighbours and Derwent Living are each expected to do when the temperature drops.
Does Derwent Living have a plan for cold weather?
Yes, Derwent Living has procedures for dealing with weather emergencies on all sites that are defined as high risk to enable, as far as reasonably practicable, the safe movement of pedestrians on the main footpaths within our schemes, including car parks and bin stores. With the obvious difficulties in maintaining high levels of specialist equipment and staff, it is not practically possible to:
• Provide a cold weather service on all parts of Derwent Living’s property portfolio, or
• Ensure all walkways are kept free of ice or snow at all times, even on routes identified as priority.
Like local authorities our approach is to reduce risk as much as reasonably practical. This means we proritise high risk areas.
What is a ‘high risk’ site?
Derwent Living defines ‘high risk’ sites as:
• Retirement living sites with communal areas due to the vulnerability of residents.
• Sites with steep gradients (greater than 10%).
So what does Derwent Living do in cold weather?
• On retirement living sites with communal areas main paths will be treated but not individual houses. Foot paths on high risk schemes are gritted and/or cleared of snow in descending order of priority.
• On sites with steep gradients Derwent Living provides gritting bins for the use of residents.
• On all other sites action will be taken if a manager or housing officer identifies a site with steep gradients. We will then attempt to provide grit bins at strategic locations for the use or residents.
All of the above will be subject to supply of gritting materials and weather conditions.